A tribute to the Cods Rowing Team
THE CODS MEMORIAL
The Murray Bridge Men’s Eight Rowing Crew represented Australia in the 1924 Olympic Games in Paris. They where known as the Cods, because they raced with a dried cod attached to the bow of their boat.
The Cods’ story is one of working-class men from a small community who were great friends and worked hard together. They defied class prejudice and lack of money to become champions.
This memorial located adjacent to the present day rowing club in Sturt Reserve, Murray Bridge on the Murray River is a tribute to their story and achievements against all odds!
Juperana Granite and Stainless Steel